Go Back   HondaShowOff.com Forums > Archives > Archives

Old 09-16-2004, 10:06 PM   #1
Kazuki
Regular User

Kazuki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1997 Honda Civic Lx engine swap

I went racing today, for the first time at a track...and anyway, i realized my car is verrrry slow ...so i really want to get an engine swap. I looked on ebay for the basic cost of a good engine. I have a 97 civic lx, with the D16y7 SOHC. I found a VTEC DOHC H22a (200+ HP) engine for $1600+$300s/h... can the h22a be swapped into my car? if so, does anyone know if it requires mods...and how much it could cost to hav it swapped?? if it cant be done, im going to look into a B16 or B18... if anyone has any knowledge of this, plz reply!! thanks
Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:35 PM   #2
94accordex
Hondadude's Personal Moderator

94accordex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 94accordex Send a message via Yahoo to 94accordex

Well, yes, it can be done. There was a guy here where I live swapping H22's into 92-00 Civics, and he was charging $600 dollars i believe. I dunno what he was doing about transmissions though. I would assume he was swapping those too, as I don't think a D or B series tranny will bolt up to an H or F series motor. So unless that motor comes with a tranny, you will probably need one of those too, and then everything that goes along with it, like a clutch pedal, shift linkages, and everything (assuming you want to swap to manual). Things could get complicated rather quickly.

Another thing to consider is that you will probably need to remove your air conditioning and power steering to accomodate an H22 in your smaller engine bay. Also the H22 is heavier than a B or D series motor, and will add significant weight over your front axle, meaning your car will handle like a beast, especially if you ditch your power steering. You would need to beef up your suspension with this swap, and you could easily end up spending another grand on that.

Unless you are fine with losing all that stuff and with paying more money, a built B16 may be a better choice for you. One more thing to consider is that you will be able to find more parts for a B-series motor than for an H-series motor. Us Accord and Prelude guys all want an H22, but that's only because it's our best option. No B-series motor will fit in our cars. A B-series is probably the best choice for a Civic.

Hope that was helpful...
Old 09-17-2004, 06:29 AM   #3
TheAccordWarrior
Regular User

TheAccordWarrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, yes, it can be done. There was a guy here where I live swapping H22's into 92-00 Civics, and he was charging $600 dollars i believe. I dunno what he was doing about transmissions though. I would assume he was swapping those too, as I don't think a D or B series tranny will bolt up to an H or F series motor. So unless that motor comes with a tranny, you will probably need one of those too, and then everything that goes along with it, like a clutch pedal, shift linkages, and everything (assuming you want to swap to manual). Things could get complicated rather quickly.

Another thing to consider is that you will probably need to remove your air conditioning and power steering to accomodate an H22 in your smaller engine bay. Also the H22 is heavier than a B or D series motor, and will add significant weight over your front axle, meaning your car will handle like a beast, especially if you ditch your power steering. You would need to beef up your suspension with this swap, and you could easily end up spending another grand on that.

Unless you are fine with losing all that stuff and with paying more money, a built B16 may be a better choice for you. One more thing to consider is that you will be able to find more parts for a B-series motor than for an H-series motor. Us Accord and Prelude guys all want an H22, but that's only because it's our best option. No B-series motor will fit in our cars. A B-series is probably the best choice for a Civic.

Hope that was helpful...
[snapback]20627[/snapback]
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head right there. The F and H trannys will interchange, but the B and D and H/F won't.

The H into a Civic is one of the most difficult swaps out there. While it does give you more hp and torque than a B or D motor is it also a very tight fit in the engine bay and is something that should be done by someone that has experience in doing the swap.

I've also heard the H vs. B weight issue really isn't as much of a concern as people make it out to be, but in the same, yes you are adding more weight to the front of the car, and that's never a good thing. I want to say the blocks are within 100 lbs of each other, but I don't know how much weight the accessories add. There are kits out there specially made to beef up the front end with different mounts.

Also another concern if you are looking to add a H22 into your 1997 Civic is OBD 1 vs OBD 2. Most H22's that are cheap are OBD 1. I believe the second gen H22, (from the 97-01 Prelude) is ODB 2 and the H22 Type S motor is OBD 2. However these motors also cost far more than the normal H22. It is possible to convert all the wiring over, but it is jsut a pain.

So basically while it is a very possible swap, its not something that's going to be easy or cheap compared to a B or D swap. For the money you'd spend on getting the H in, you could easy put a B or maybe even a turbo D in and have money left over for bolt ons.

You can swap a B or a D into an Accord with a lot of custom fabbing, just like I saw a video of a mid engined, rear wheel drive H22 Del Sol, but it wouldn't make sense due to the lack of torque the B and D motors produce since they are smaller displacement motors. For example the F22a1 has 125 hp and 137 lb/ft of torque while the D16z6 also has 125 hp but has 106 lb/ft of torque.

TheAccordWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 06:45 AM   #4
TekSI
Regular User

TekSI is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TekSI

The H series isn't as heavy as everyone makes it out to be...check out this thread from H-T

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=684550
TekSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:03 AM   #5
extasy
Regular User

extasy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to extasy

Stay D-series. For torque you can't beat the H22 but for the cost of all the accessories you need for the swap you could accomplish much more with a different engine. Find yourself a D16Y8 head and do a mini-me conversion, throw a Greddy turbo kit on it and you'd be surprised what that car would do. The only DOHC I really have repect for aside from the F20C is the B20/VTEC you have the best of both worlds, the low torque of a larger displacement block and the high rpm air flow of a B-series VTEC.
extasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:31 AM   #6
SweetHonda24
HSO Admin Staff

SweetHonda24 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SweetHonda24

if you do decide to get the h22 your also gonna need a new set of motor mounts which usually run about $500, your also gonna need a ecu(either obd1 or obd2 depending on what year the motor is) for the h22.

Some places sell the complete swap, harness, motor, tranny, ecu all for like $2500 that would be your best bet if you can find one that has everything.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:05 PM   #7
Hypnotic_B18b1
Regular User

Hypnotic_B18b1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Hypnotic_B18b1 Send a message via MSN to Hypnotic_B18b1 Send a message via Yahoo to Hypnotic_B18b1

^ or u could go standalone , nah but personally i hate H22/h23 and b20a engines but thats just my opnion, if i was in your shoes i would go b18 turbo or b16 turbo....
Old 09-18-2004, 12:21 AM   #8
Kazuki
Regular User

OKK, from all the info, im forgettin the H22a...someone said i could get a D16y8 and turbo charge it. If i did that , could i still get my transmission converted?? that would probably be a lot cheaper, and i just saw a 2dr civic, with a turbo-charged D16y8 running 13's in the quarter mile, so that doesnt sound too bad. I just want to know if i can have my tranny converted...
Old 09-18-2004, 07:31 AM   #9
Bfinch2002
Director

Bfinch2002 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Bfinch2002

just curious, what did you run?
Bfinch2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:36 PM   #10
Kazuki
Regular User

okkkkkkk, itss reallllllllllly embarassing, and i shouldn't even say...but i kept gettin 19.6 seconds.*dont laugh*..... ill get a swap!
Old 09-19-2004, 06:59 PM   #11
Hypnotic_B18b1
Regular User

Hypnotic_B18b1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Hypnotic_B18b1 Send a message via MSN to Hypnotic_B18b1 Send a message via Yahoo to Hypnotic_B18b1

damn, honestly u should go d16zc turbo, DOCH the stock cams are fine for turbo, and its a good engine
Old 09-19-2004, 09:05 PM   #12
TekSI
Regular User

TekSI is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TekSI

it all depends on money...D-series is cheap

my new plans are:

sleeved d16 block with cp pistons, and billet rods, stock d16 head/IM/TB, Greddy turbo kit w/ intercooler, Type-s blowoff, 2.5" exhaust from turbo back, maybe a few little things

total cost of that will be about 5k including assembly and install, then i gotta tune it

people have put just the greddy turbo kit w/ intercooler on their D's and have reached 13's in the quarter
TekSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:37 PM   #13
Kazuki
Regular User

i really appreciate all the info, im going to look into the D engines, sounds more reasonable, for my budget
Old 09-23-2004, 01:53 AM   #14
TrailorParkPimp
Regular User

TrailorParkPimp is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TrailorParkPimp Send a message via Yahoo to TrailorParkPimp

you can do a "mini-me" swap. basically you are going to put a VTEC head onto your non-VTEC block. pretty simple to do. just like a Frankenstein fir the B-series but for the D-series.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:27 PM   #15
Kazuki
Regular User

I dont understand that at all... about how much would that cost?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:10 PM   #16
94accordex

Quote:
you can do a "mini-me" swap. basically you are going to put a VTEC head onto your non-VTEC block. pretty simple to do. just like a Frankenstein fir the B-series but for the D-series.
[snapback]20989[/snapback]

Ok, the LX and DX Civics have a different engine then the EX Civics. Your Civic has a D15 I believe? It doesn't have VTEC. What he's saying is that you can buy a head from the EX motor, the D16, and put it on your car, which will basically make it like the D16 that comes in the EX, except your engine has a little less displacement. This way you can get VTEC and maybe gain a few horse power, but it will cost you less than a full swap.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:18 AM   #17
Kazuki
Regular User

the LX has the D16y7(non-vtec), and the EX is D16y8(Vtec) actually...but i know what you're saying now. I just don't know exactly where to get the head for Vtec, or how much it will cost
Old 10-01-2004, 02:49 PM   #18
94accordex

Quote:
the LX has the D16y7(non-vtec), and the EX is D16y8(Vtec) actually...but i know what you're saying now. I just don't know exactly where to get the head for Vtec, or how much it will cost
[snapback]21325[/snapback]
Ah, ok...I was thinking of the previous generation of Civics, the LX and DX on those had a 1.5-liter I believe.